Friday, January 9, 2009

I don't think so, mommy!



I don't like change...can't you see it on their faces? Blake and Owen just celebrated their 6 month birthday. That means, it's time for their 6 month check up and the long awaited permission to try solids. I was so excited about this next "big boy" stage in their life. I had bought some cute, bright colored spoons and had their MSU bowls washed and ready to go. Dr. Smoot gave me the go ahead and suggested starting with Rice Cereal.
Back in September, when Blake choked, we began putting Rice Cereal in both of the boys formula to help with spit up. So for about 3 1/2 months they have been tasting Rice Cereal mixed with formula 6 times a day, 7 days a week and they never even blinked an eye.

However, if served with a spoon - DIFFERENT STORY. I have never seen such resistance! It was hillarious. We tried all the old tricks and I have never seen them be so bright as figuring out how to grin with clinched jaws.

Everyone I spoke with said,"Rice Cereal is gross...they probably just don't like the taste." Like the taste! Are you kidding me? It's the same taste they have every day! And it was the same consitentcy! It all came down to my brightly colored spoon. They wanted it through a bottle...not a spoon.

Isn't that just like all of us with the Lord? We want things in the form that is most familiar to us. What we are use to. It doesn't matter if He is giving us the same kind of love, attention, blessings, answers to prayers...we want it in the form we most understand. Give it to me like I have always had it...I don't want to change, I don't want to grow up...I want to have my bottle!!!

Good thing they are cute...you think God thinks the same thing about us?

1 comment:

Robin said...

Look at those boys. I mean, they are just the cutest! And, I have never understood more about "the bottle" metaphor than now. A really good reminder for me, about how God does love me, but not always in the same way or same time. Good blog!