Monday, July 21, 2008

Another Bear-ism

"Small victories are the key to survival."
How funny, or silly, am I that I seem to keep finding great thoughts from a guy on the Discovery Channel that eats yak eyeballs? But I promise, he says some great things.
The past few weeks have been hard, but they seem to keep getting harder everyday. I fall more in love with my babies everyday and Nate and I are getting more exhausted everyday. There were many times last week when I broke down and thought, "I simply can not do this anymore. I have no more strength to go on...Lord, I am tired."
It has been a long and tiring 14 weeks - 14 weeks since we found out the boys were sick, had surgery, was on bedrest at home, worried about flipped chromosomes, thought the TTTS was reversing, got put on bedrest in the hospital, had the babies, recovered - partially - from a c-section, and now drive back and forth to the hospital everyday multiple times to see my boys. I still haven't seen Blake's face entirely...
Like I said, exhaustion was beginning to set in. There was a night last week where we were at the hospital and I was with Owen and Nate was with Blake and as I sat and held Owen, I just cried. I am sure he was thinking, "Seriously mom, are you already embarrassing me?!" I sat there for an hour singing and crying to him until Nate came into switch and was totally caught off guard by his crying wife. Now hormones give me one excuse, but in all honesty, it was just a really sad moment. I felt as though this time would never be over and I would never get to bring my boys home. I worried about how I was missing the first weeks of their lives, I was not being able to bond with them like a new mother should, they were missing out on each other. God, would this every be over? Would I ever bring them home?
But just like God, being as ever faithful as He is, delivered some encouragament the next day. For the first time in almost 3 weeks they told us something new. In the same day I was told they thought the boys would BOTH come home before their due date which was still about 6 weeks away. My heart suddenly melted as I felt so sorry for doubting God at that time.
Then this past weekend, again, I got upset. This time Nate and I were at home. We had spent a majority of the day at the hospital. We chose to not hold Blake that day because he was a little fussy and didn't want to upset him anymore. That night I called to check on him. When his nurse answered, I introduced myself as the mom of Blake. She then replied to me that they didn't have a Blake. So I began to assume I had been connected to the wrong area when she then responded..."oh wait, here he is." Not words a mother wants to hear. She then told me that his nurse was with another baby and hadn't checked my baby yet. I got off the phone and just cried. I knew that meant my little man had been laying all alone, no one talking to him, no one loving on him, no one holding him for hours...I cried and cried. Nate was so wonderful as he sat on the couch with me...allowing me to cry...and reminding me that, "at least they are here, Kim, at least they are here. We were so close to them not being here." How could I forget that?
Sometimes we get so caught up in the way we want things at that moment that we forget to look around and see that God is still moving, still working and that he has not forgotten us. It's easy to get stuck in the situation we are in. It's easy to trust more in circumstances than in God's character. But God is so good to always give us the glimer of hope that we need to keep going on. We may not get what we want at that moment - my babies coming home - but He gives us what we need for that time.
I guess it is silly to take another quote from Bear Grylls, but if anyone understands survival he does. Some days that is where I am...just trying to survive and so on those days I will take his advice and realize that small victories are the key to survival.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Kim...reading these words just brings back so many feelings for me...feelings that I thought would never end and a time that I thought would never end. And as I told you before, no one can fully prepare you for what it is like and i HATE that you are living though this right now. All I can say is I AM HERE! Please call me anytime! I am praying for you all night and day. I cannot wait until you have those babies in your car and are heading home. PLEASE LORD SEND HER STRENGHTH and ENCOURAGEMENT!!! REJUVINATE HER WEARY BODY AND SOUL. HELP HER TO KNOW YOU ARE ALWAYS THERE EVEN WHEN IT FEELS HOPELESS! LORD WRAP YOUR ARMS ALL THE WAY AROUND HER DAILY AND DON"T LET GO. HOLD BLAKE AND OWEN WHEN SHE CANNOT! AND BRING A MIRACULOUS GROWTH TO HER BOYS SO THEY CAN GO HOME SOONER THAN EXPECTED.

Unknown said...

oh...i just thought of this...i wished i had done this in the midst of what we went through, but sometime, you should just record your voice onto a tape for an hour or so and just sing and talk and then ask the nurse for a tape recorder. We had one for ella and just played praise music when we could not be there, etc . and never did i think of doing my own voice. the nurses will play it for you. you could just read them stories or scripture, sing songs...anything, just to have your voice there when no one is there is soothing. also, we took a shirt of mine to put in the beds for them to smell me. or a blanket, pillowcase or something with your smell on it.

Andy Crawford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Ellis said...

Kim, as I read this I have several emotions and feelings and thoughts. The main one that God shows me over and over again is what a strong, disciplined, Godly young lady, wife, now mother that you are. I am so amazed, impressed with you and how you are dealing with this Huge trial that you and Nate are walking through. I know thta God is using you in such a mighty way, through your words, your honesty, your actions, your feelings, your prayers, your total trust in Him. You are ministering through the lives of Blake and Owen at such a tiny, you and delicate age. It is amazing and such a model to me of how you are walking in this trial and trusting in the Lord, even as I am walking through my own trial that has been placed in my lap within the last 2 wks. God is using you as a reminder to focus on Him and not on the circumstances at hand. I have known you as a young teen, watched you grow into a young lady, then a young bride, and now a young mother. I am so thankful that you will be able to take Owen home today, how thrilling that must be. On the other hand, I understand when you say it hurts to know that Blake is in the hospital with noone by him. To hold him, to love him. Just know God is right there with Blake, he isn't alone. God has placed those nurses there for Blake to take care of him. You need to go home and be strong, healthy, taking care of you. Just think within the next few weeks, you and Nate won't be taking the trips to the hospital, they will be in the next room. Just know that even though he is in his "bed" by himself, he is ever so close to many peoples hearts and in prayer. He isn't alon and that is very evident through your website and the many many people who love you and Nate and Blake and Owen. It is ok for you to feel that way, you are human. In the Bible it said "Jesus wept" He had those same human feelings. You and Nate didn't get to experience what most moms/dads do when they come home after the delivery. God chose you and knew that you and Nate could handle what you are having to handle to speak into many others lives that may not even know Christ at all. Through your faithfulness, prayers, steadfastsness you have been faithful. Not everyone is chosen to be used in such a mighty way at such a young age as Blake and Owen! God knew the 4 of you could handle that. I wish I was there to hold you and give you a hug. Just know that I am continually praying for you and your family every single day and then some. I saw some twins at church Sunday and immediately thought, there is Blake and Owen in a few years!!! Get ready mom, you have a lifetime ahead of you. I love you so much Kim and am so thankful that in a special way that God allowed our lives to pass. I will never forget you and I hold our relationship special. You are doing awesome!!! Keep it up. Love and prayers, Jennifer Ellis

Kate B said...

my heart is with you today.
katy blackshear