Monday, January 19, 2009

Shhh...Daddy's got you


I have heard more than once from my mommy friends about the phenomenon of daddies. How a mom can spend all day taking care of the children, but when the dad walks through the door it is all about him. Children light up at the sight of their dad.


I have seen that many times with the boys. I can't even begin to count the number of times they have been fussy or upset and the only one that can calm them down is their dad.


This past weekend we were going to take the boys to their first teenage party. One of the girls from our church, whom the boys lovingly (well not yet, but will) call, Aunt Lauren, was turning 18. So we headed on over to the dance party! We got a little turned around getting there so the drive took longer than we expected and not surprisingly lulled the boys to sleep. So when we got there it was time to eat, dark and we woke them up to get them out of the car. Our normally VERY social boys were a little sleepy eyed as we walked up to the house. We walked in and were greeted by some very excited students all dancing and singing to Kris Kross' "Jump" - even though I am sure they were all about 2 or younger when it came out. And there it was in all of it's terrifying glory above the jumping students - the disco ball. One look at the spinning lights and loud singing and the boys LOST it! They were screaming and burying their heads into our chests...they were completely freaked out! About two seconds later, Lauren came over to say hi. Once Blake saw her...all was good. Owen peeked out from his daddy's chest with a faint smile all to see the disco ball once again and the crying was back.


For the next few minutes Blake and I made our rounds through the party as he kicked his feet to the music, was passed around and was entranced by all the pretty girls. I kept looking over my shoulder to see Nate with Owen pressed into his chest still crying with even the faintest peer at the disco ball. A few minutes later we were in the kitchen where Nate tried to join us with Owen, as he walked in, someone popped a balloon and it was over - out on the front porch they went. As they were heading out the door I head Nate say, "Shh...little buddy...it's okay...daddy's got you." Later on that night after we got home I heard Nate tell Owen once again, "It's okay pal, I won't let anyone or anything hurt you."


There was no one else Owen wanted that night, just his dad. And I know his daddy pretty well and I am confidant that the words he was whispering to him were true. He was holding on tight to his little guy and wasn't about to let anyone or anything cause him harm. His daddy loves him and his daddy is serious about his job of protecting him.


God is wise and he has shaped dad's to be exactly as they are. Strong and protective. Their children need that. Just like we need that in our heavenly Father. As I watched Nate the other night I thought about the times I was scared and all I wanted was to crawl in the lap of God the Father and how he was always faithful to say the same words to me when I needed to hear it..."Shh.. it's okay Kim...Daddy's got you." In those moments that was all I needed to hear.

1 comment:

Robin said...

This made me a little teary... and I love all of your teachable moments that you include in your posts. You need to be writing these down for a mommy devotional of some kind. They are a blessing to me that's for sure!