Thursday, March 25, 2010

The great smoothie disaster

As posted in a previous blog...I am currently obsessed with making Banana Smoothies. I think I have been having a few a week! The other day I decided to be sweet and share with the boys. I was even going so far as to give them their very own cup with banana smoothie in it.

It started out innocently enough. Once they realized what I was making they got really excited - spinning in circles and squealing. Then I got out another treasure, their sippy cups that have straws. They really love these cups, but they are very hard to drink out of. They haven't used them in a while, but I thought since they were older it might be easier now. So they yelled with delight as they realized I was pouring smoothie into THEIR cups WITH straws.

They began sucking away and I realized they couldn't get anything out of it. They were trying so hard...I even tried and it was near impossible for me. So I went to get their second favorite cups to transfer the smoothie into.

Sadly, Owen didn't understand what was happening and a melt down of all broken hearted melt downs began. Tears, thrashing on the floor, high pitched hysterics...because he just knew I was taking it away!!! I tried to show him I wasn't. Show him how I was pouring it from one cup to the other...but he was having nothing to do with it. It just escalated...

I tried one more cup, a big people cup with a straw...nope...not happening.

Finally, I gave up on him, went back to cup #2 with a straw and gave it to Blake. Once Owen saw Blake drinking it...he decided to trust and try.

He was a very happy boy at this point...does it matter that it took a good 10 minutes of a pointless fit to get there? Nah...
Sad for my friend Abbey...she had to hear the whole thing because she called in the middle of it. And to avoid throwing a fit myself...I had to keep her on the line!!!
Here he is in all of his smoothie glory



Worst part...we ended up with cups with no lids...which equaled lots of spills and lots of "Mo - mo?!" (translation, More!?)...to which we then had to explain why we had no more...
Something so sweet...SO difficult!
Blake had fun though!

5 comments:

Eric and Darcy said...

Oh my goodness, Kim, I was CRACKING up reading this! That is so funny!
P.S. what grocery store do you go to that has double seat carts? I haven't seen any here. The only thing I've seen are the carts with the cars attached, but my boys are too small. We might have the same grocery store here (ie. Fry's that has the Kroger brand etc).

Holly Heston said...

sounds like your "treat" didn't turn out exactly as you had hoped. It never does with toddlers, right? At least they got to enjoy one of mommy's favorite things!

Granma said...

Owen still doesn't look too happy! And of course Blake's just watching! love those two!

Kirsi Ingram said...

I love your stories!

Kelcy Lillianne said...

okay so after all of this smoothie talk you've been doing i decided i should try it out myself.. so i just did. and it is SO good. you have me hooked! ha and that picture of owen is awesome!! can't wait to see wedding pictures!