Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Body

I am in a precepts bible study this semester where we are learning about the spiritual gifts. This past week we were studying 1 Corinthians 12 where Paul talks about the body of Christ.
He makes the analogy of the body of Christ to the human body. He is making the point that we all have unique gifts that are given to us at the moment of salvation. It is up to the God head to determine who gets what gifts, how we use them, and what the effect or outcome will be.
He also talks about, in the same analogy, how we are to rejoice with our fellow members of the body and to suffer with them.
That is so real to me this morning on a very personal level as my whole body hurts from going to the gym again yesterday:).
Also by an email I got this morning.
When I was in college I served on staff at FBC Brownwood as an interim youth pastor for a year. Our pastor that year came on staff at almost the exact same time I did. He was young and married to an outgoing, fun lady and had two adorable children - Maggie Lee, 4, and Jack, 2.
We served together for that year before he moved on to another church, but the whole year I watched and observed this family. I thought they were adorable and different. I really admired them.
Now move 8 years later to this summer. I heard that Maggie Lee, now 12, had been in a car accident on her way to church camp. Their van flipped and she was in the hospital with a brain injury. I began to follow their 3 week ordeal as I prayed for ML and her healing.
Sadly, God chose not to heal her the way we all had hoped. But he healed her in His way, by healing her forever and taking her home.
The Henson's have been amazing during this time. Not by being over spiritual, but being real. They have been vulnerable and open allowing the body to come along side of them and do just as Paul is talking about in 1 Corinthians and hurting with them. They are also still allowing God to use their gifts to encourage and edify the body even during this time.
Anyways, I am constantly encouraged and challenged by this family. It has been 6 months since Maggie Lee passed away and Jenny posted this journal this morning.
I would encourage you all to read it.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/maggieleehenson

1 comment:

Mom said...

What an amazing lady. No one but God can truly know her pain, but her faith in Him has been and will continue to be rewarded. Thanks for sharing this.