Monday, February 2, 2009

Great at not being great...



I am currently doing the Beth Moore Bible Study on Esther. I am four days into it and already know I think it's great. This week's title is, "It's tough being a woman in another woman's shadow." One day asked the question, "Is there a woman whom you feel you are always in her shadow?" My answer was not a woman but almost all women.


My whole life I have struggled with the fact that I am not great at anything. I am really good at a lot of things but there is always someone with in my close circle that is a good step ahead of me in all areas. I have some of the most amazing friends and family you could imagine. They are athletic, smart, artistic, creative, wise, good cooks, decorators, disciplined...the list goes on and on. I however used to be summed up in three words in college - loud, fun and friendly. Don't get me wrong those are nice things...but they weren't things that other people aspired for. That list I could go on and on with. For instance, I am really indecisive. I am really stubborn. I am really athletic, at least in my own mind. Erin and I had an ongoing debate in college over who was more athletic. I am pretty sure we both knew it was me:)


However as I was finishing my study this morning I came to a conclusion that I need to constantly remind myself of.


Yesterday we got to dedicate the boys at church. We really were dedicating ourselves to raise the boys as best as we could and point them toward the Lord. As I stood before our congragation next to my sweet beloved husband holding our sweet boys, I was overwhelmed. I may not be great at anything, but I am called to be great at being me.


We had the joy of having family come in this weekend to celebrate with us and sometimes when being held by other the boys would cry. And people would say, "Kim they want you." That was almost a crazy thought to me. But to my boys, I am great. Every day of my life Nate tells me he loves me and how great he thinks I am - and he really means it and I really believe him. To him I am great.


All of this to say I may not be great at being athletic, smart, crafty, creative, artistic, smart, or disciplined, but I am called to be great at being Kim, being Blake and Owen's mommy, Nate's beloved and any other job God calls me to have.

2 comments:

joanna said...

Kim! I really needed to hear this! I have often felt the same way. Like someone else was always one step ahead of me at everything. I'm good at a lot and great at nothing. Thank you for the reminder that I just need to work on being great at being Joanna. The Joanna God made me to be.

Holly Heston said...

Kim....I think all women struggle with this. I feel the same way.....like I'm always in someone's shadow.....often yours, missy! You are an amazing woman, and Blake and Owen are so blessed to have you. You are a wonderful mom and I am amazed at your patience and calm spirit through everything. I love you, friend!