Thursday, March 21, 2013

Grace and the expo

A few thoughts and them some pictures!
We had an exciting week around here.  Blake flushed some toys down the potty.  I am not really sure what came over him (maybe 4 year old boyness?!)  They have tried this once before when some buddies were here and they got in trouble and I never thought he would try again.  I guess I was wrong.  The temptation of those toys laying on the bathroom floor must have gotten the best of him and he just couldn't help himself!  So he flushed one.  He tried two more things that luckily, for us, wouldn't go down.  He didn't even tell us.  Owen did.  After trying to retrieve it ourselves (I will spare you the humorous details:)) we gave in and called a plumber.
We talked with him, told him what a big deal it was, punished him....he was sorry.  He really was/is.  He asked us to forgive him and so we did.
I have been thinking so much lately about how when God forgives us, he completely forgives us.  He doesn't hang things over our head.  He doesn't whisper into our hearts and minds of times we have failed.  The Bible says he has removed our sins as far as the east is from the west.  So why is it so hard for me to do that?
Why do I feel like I can guilt my son into feeling more sorry.  What would that prove?  Why do I feel the need to do it?  Why do I do that to my husband, too?
If God can forgive in such a way, shouldn't I?
If I get to receive his grace, shouldn't I extend that to others?
I have been holding my tongue all week everytime the urge comes to me to drag his nose into it again.  I trust that he is sorry, trust that he has learned his lesson.  But it is not about that.  Forgiveness means you forgive.  You let go.  You don't guilt and you don't try to rehash the past.  It truly is an amazing grace.

On another note here are two of the cuties at the youth expo with their school this morning.  Allied Waste is a sponsor.  So we took pictures in front of daddy's banner and dumpster!













1 comment:

Granma said...

Looks like so much fun! I know they were so excited about it. So neat to get to see and do!